The Spanish government has cancelled upcoming performances by Plácido Domingo in Madrid following the tenor’s apology for the behaviour that led to a series of sexual harassment allegationsin August.

Plácido Domingo

Spain’s Culture Ministry said Wednesday that “given the seriousness of the deeds,” and “in solidarity with women affected,” together with Domingo’s declarations of responsibility, it had cancelled his participation in two performances of Luisa Fernandaat the Teatro de la Zarzuela in mid-May.

The Ministry’s decision came a day after the American Guild of Musical Artists, the primary union representing opera performers, said its investigation into the allegations had concluded that Domingo had engaged in “inappropriate activity, ranging from flirtation to sexual advances, in and outside of the workplace.”

“Many of the witnesses expressed fear of retaliation in the industry as their reason for not coming forward sooner,” the statement said.

AGMA’s investigation was the first of two independent inquiries launched after multiple women accused Domingo of sexual harassment in two Associated Press stories published last year. The second inquiry, still ongoing, was launched by LA Opera, where Domingo had served as general director since 2003 before resigning in October.

Domingo’s response is...

This article is available to Limelight subscribers.

Log in to continue reading.

Access our paywalled content and archive of magazines, regular news and features for the limited offer of $3 per month. Support independent journalism.

Subscribe now