Aussie musical diaspora teams up with Sydney Opera House for three years.
Australia’s most iconic performing arts venue has partnered with the nation’s most up-and-coming orchestra for an exciting new annual program.
Announced on Monday, the partnership with the Sydney Opera House will see its first concert series in July of 2015, kicking off three years of annual programming, with the new headline act to be announced later this year.
Made up of stalwarts from Australia’s orchestras as well as ex-pats working in Europe, Asia and America, AWO founder and artistic director, Alexander Briger, backed by his uncle, the late Sir Charles Mackerras, launched the orchestra in 2011, flying in musicians from all over the world.
The AWO performed to sold-out crowds in Sydney and Melbourne last year under the baton of legendary Maestro Zubin Mehta. After a long standing ovation Mehta hushed the delirious Sydney crowd and, pointing to the orchestra behind him said: “Do you realise what you’ve got here?” After a resounding “yes” from the audience, the 77-year-old maestro added: “Don’t let go of them!” It seems that the Sydney Opera House has taken Mehta at his word.
Briger said that it was always a long-term goal of the outfit to present an annual program in partnership with the prestigious venue. “We are thrilled that this dream has been realised so early in the life of the orchestra,” he said.
The program is also designed as a launching pad for the next generation of musicians, with members of the AWO taking on protégé’s from the Australian Youth Orchestra, where many of them started out themselves. “It’s a great initiative,” says AYO chair Mary Vallentine. “It’s wonderful that these AWO musicians will continue the tradition through this great association.”