Following an online backlash, sources maintain that the Italian tenor will not perform at the ceremony.

Following our report last week, it now appears Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli will not be performing at US president-elect Donald Trump’s inauguration on January 20. After rumours circulated that the tenor was to perform at the ceremony, the singer experienced a backlash from fans on social media under the hashtag #BoycottBocelli.

Bocelli was rumoured to be performing a duet with America’s Got Talent star Jackie Evancho.

While The Telegraph in the UK reported that Bocelli backed away after “too much heat” from fans, Chairman of the Presidential Inaugural Committee Tom Barrack denied Bocelli was ever asked to sing at the inauguration. In an interview on CNBC’s Squawk Box, Barrack claimed that the singer and president-elect are great friends and that the tenor had offered to perform.

“Donald said, ‘You don’t need to. We’re not in that kind of a framework. Thanks very much for the offer. You’re my friend. You are always welcome at the White House,’” Barrack said. “It never got to: Can you, will you, would you with either of them. They’re just great friends. And that was it.”