1. Three operas you love most?
Der Ring des Nibelungen
Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg
2. Three favourite baritones?
Baritone Warwick Fyfe
3. Three favourite roles (you have performed or are scheduled to perform)?
Klingsor … or Holländer… or Mandryka… don’t ask such hard questions!
4. Most memorable musical experience as an audience member?
Parsifal, Bayreuth 1993
5. If you weren’t an opera singer, what would you be?
Unemployed. But for preference a writer.
6. Three operas you could happily never hear again?
Roméo et Juliette
7. Funniest moment onstage?
When I reached round from behind slid my hand into an Aida’s cleavage mistaking her left breast for the arm I was meant to clutch.
8. Three favourite movies?
Berlin Alexanderplatzby Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Wagnerby Tony Palmer
The Life of Brian
(Actually third place is a sort of dead heat involving umpteen films: The Shining, Clockwork Orange, Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Braindead, Videodrome, The Devils, The Thing(1982 version), Jaws, Alien… I could go on and on..)
9. Three operas you like but never get to see?
10. A recording to be stranded with on a desert island?
Meistersingerwith Hotter as Sachs
Elektra– both the Solti/Nilsson one and the DVD with Rysanek, Varnay and Böhm
11. A singer of the past...