We share some sharps and flats with the pianist ahead of his performances at Perth Festival.
1. Three pieces of music you love?
Mozart Sonata for Two Pianos in D Major
Brahms Piano Concerto No 2 (Arrau with Giulini and Philharmonia)
Simon & Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water album
2. Three piano heroes?
3. Which non-classical pianist would you most like to see play classical repertoire?
4. Three underrated piano concertos?
Rachmaninov Four (original 1926 version)
Tchaikovsky Two (slow movement)
5. Three historical musicians you would most liked to have heard play piano?
6. Three pieces of music you could happily never hear again?
Brahms Paganini Variations
Schubert Wanderer Fantasy
Stravinsky Three Movements from Petrushka
7. Your most memorable musical experience in an audience?
Hearing Mahler 2 for the first time with Simone Young and LPO just after moving to London.
8. Three favourite films?
From Beginning to End (Brazilian)
Let the Right One In (Swedish)
Hundred Foot Journey
9. Three favourite books?
A Suitable Boy, Vikram Seth
Bleak House, Charles Dickens
A book of Leunig cartoons
10. Three favourite places in the world?
Tweed valley, NSW
Sunshine coast, QLD
A large bathtub
11. What would you say was your proudest moment?
My performance of the Schumann Symphonic Etudes in 2014 Montreal competition.
12. An embarrassing or awkward moment?
Age 9 one of my first public concerts – during the very last piece of my program I lost my place and had to stop playing. Started the piece again and got lost in exactly the same place – quickly muttered “damn it” – walked off annoyed with myself, my teacher was side-stage, who said “gracious at all times, Jayson” – a very good lesson.
13. What do you do to relax?
Switch off internet, phone and all forms of connection to the outside world
14. Three guilty pleasures?
Cheesy comedies and romcoms
Always listening to my favourite music instead of challenging myself to listen to something new
Dessert for breakfast
15. Six composers you would like to have round for dinner?
16. Three musicians you would most like to meet in a bar?
17. A historical person you’d like to go on a date with?
18. Which fictitious person would you most like to have as a next-door neighbour?
19. Your favourite food?
Avocado with balsamic glaze, salt and pepper
20. Who would you most like to write a concerto for you?
Jayson Gillham performs at Perth Festival’s Chamber Music Weekend, February 26-28.