The German composer is not a fan of Bruckner but would like Lady Gaga to write classical music.
1) Three pieces of music you love
Stravinsky – Symphony of Psalms
Xenakis – Jonchaies
John Adams – Naive and Sentimental music
2) Three recordings everyone should own
Bob Dylan – Bringing it all back home
Marvin Gaye – Whats going on
Boards of Canada – Music has the right to children
3. Three musical heroes
4. Three really underrated composers
5. An underrated piece of music
Heirick Biber’s Partitas
6. Three pieces of music you could happily never hear again
Anything by Bruckner. Sorry Anton.
7. Your greatest concert experience
Kraftwerk playing Autobahn Live in 1980
8. Your favourite films
Harold and Maude
The Royal Tennenbaums
9. Your favourite books
James Joyce – Ulysses
The Poetry of Keats
10. Three favourite places in the world
The Isle of Mull, Scotland
MOMA, New York
Sitting at a piano anywhere
The Barn coffee house in Berlin
11. Your proudest moment
Seeing my kids be brilliant & seeing my music come out on Vinyl
12. An embarrassing or awkward moment
The keyboard playing a bossa nova demo song in the middle of a gig the other day at the Paradiso in Amsterdam. Hilarious.
13. What do you do to relax?
Lots of reading and staring out of the window aimlessly.
14. Two guilty pleasures:
Addiction to Bass
15. Three living people you would most like to have dinner with?
I get the answer to that most evenings, luckily, but apart from my family, I nominate:
16. Three historical people you would most like to meet in a bar?
17. A historical person you’d like to go on a date with?
I plead the 5th.
18. Which fictitious person would you most like to have as a next-door neighbour?
Bouvard and Pecuchet… also Annie Hall
19. Your favourite food
20. A non-classical musician you would like to write classical music
Lady Gaga – it’s only a matter of time!